Mt. Pleasant Civil Litigation Lawyer
Thomas Milligan — 30 years of trial and mediation experience
Tom Milligan is one of the most experienced trial lawyers in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. When Tom began practicing law in 1988, a veteran attorney informed him that to be a good trial lawyer, the attorney needed to have at least 25 jury trials under his belt. In order to be a great trial lawyer, the attorney needed to have tried more than 100 cases. Over 30 years of practice, Tom has successfully tried more than 200 jury trials.
Growing up in a poor family in the Upstate of South Carolina, Tom learned the value of working hard to earn every penny and to make the most of every opportunity. With the will to succeed no matter what the obstacles, Tom paid his way through college at Clemson University and through law school at the University of South Carolina School of Law. Tom’s achievements are a testament to the hard work and dedication that he has used in advocating for so many clients over the years.
Although Tom’s parents were not wealthy or well-to-do, their high moral standards and commitment to service were an invaluable inspiration for their son. This sense of commitment drew Tom to the law to help others in his community. The timeless ethics his parents taught him have guided Tom’s career. His strength of character and skill have earned him an AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell® — the highest possible rating from his legal peers. Tom became a lawyer in 1988. Since then, his counsel and commitment have led thousands of clients to the just and fair results they deserve in a world of trying times.
Justice and fairness are not written into the legal system; one has to work hard and fight to achieve justice. This attitude is the hallmark of the [ln::firm_name].
[ln::firm_name] prides itself on upholding the high standards and responsibilities of the legal profession, seeking to obtain excellence while maintaining courtesy, character and professionalism.
Tom is a dedicated family man, with his wife, Cheri, and two sons, Jon and Riley. Cheri Milligan runs a successful court reporting business.
The Milligans have dedicated themselves to serving the community of Mt. Pleasant. Much of Tom’s free time is spent working with the children of Mt. Pleasant. Tom has served as a volunteer coach and/or sponsor for more than 20 sports teams for the Mt. Pleasant Recreation Department and the local Mt. Pleasant schools.
Tom established the Milligan Law Firm in 2000. Now, Milligan & Hearns, P.C. has been serving the citizens of Mt. Pleasant and the Lowcountry with dedication, care and commitment ever since.
- Nursing homes in personal injury litigation
- Architects, developers, appraisers and contractors in construction litigation disputes
- Businesses and corporations in disputes over trade secrets or unfair trade practices
- Defendants in personal injury suits including automobile accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, toxic torts or negligence
- Designers, manufacturers and distributers in products liability lawsuits
- Healthcare professionals in medical malpractice actions
- Companies in insurance coverage disputes
- Personal injury litigation
- Nursing home litigation
- Automobile accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Products liability claims
- Contractual disputes
- Construction litigation
- Santee Cooper (South Carolina Public Service Authority)
- Allstate Insurance Company
- GEICO Insurance Company
- Admitted in South Carolina, 1988
- U.S. District Court, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 2010
- Clemson University, B.A., 1984
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1988
Associations & Memberships
- Charleston County Bar, South Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association, American Bar Association Pretrial Practice and Procedure Committee, 1990 – present
- South Carolina Bar House of Delegates, 1996 – present
- South Carolina Bar Ethics Advisory Committee, 1990 – 1992
- South Carolina Bar Association Interprofessional Relationship Committee, 1989 – 1990
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association